To my classroom and to 6th grade Math!
Mrs. Anderson and I will be teaming up for the 2020-2021 school year.
I will be teaching Math and Science and Mrs. Anderson will be teaching Language Arts and Social Studies.
8/14/20 Update: Microwaves will not be available for students to use to heat up food from home at lunch time. This is due to strict sanitization/cleaning requirements. If your child packs their lunch, please ensure there is nothing in it that requires heating up.
6th Grade Orientation on Tuesday, August 11
There are three sessions. Students and parents/guardians may choose to attend any of the three sessions. Students will receive their schedules and get a tour of the school buildings. Parents/guardians will meet with Mrs. Martin (principal) and Mrs. Dineen (assistant principal).
Session I 10:00 - 10:45
Session II 1:00 - 1:45
Session III 4:00 - 4:45
School/Classroom Updates 7/20/2020
Please read the CCS 2020-2021 Re-Entry Plan document located on Gamewell Middle School's home page. It's about halfway down on the page.
This is the latest news. Please understand that it is not "set in stone" and may change at any time.
1. UPDATE 7/21: Each homeroom will be divided into two groups. One group will meet in-person at school on Mon/Tues, the other will meet in-person on Thur/Fri. The group not meeting in-person will be expected to complete at-home assignments during their three days not in class. There will not be Zoom meetings during that time as teachers will be teaching the other group of students.
Group A: Students with last names from A to L will physically attend school on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Group B: Students with last names from M to Z will physically attend school on Thursdays and Fridays.
Teachers will be able to accomplish remote planning and communicate with students on Wednesdays. Facilities will be thoroughly cleaned on Wednesdays.
Caldwell Connect: This is a five-day-a-week, exclusively virtual online classroom set up. This option will be face-to-face live as well as recorded instruction. Caldwell Connect will be led by teachers from around the county. Please refer to the Re-Entry Plan document for more information and registration procedures.
Registration is going on now until July 31.
3. Students will stay in their homeroom class all day. They will not change classes. Teachers will be traveling between classes.
I don't know how Encore classes will work.
4. School will start at 0750 this year.
5. Students will not be using lockers. Bookbags and coats will be stored in the classroom.
6. Students MUST provide all of their own school supplies. There will not be any class sets available for students to use. Our team's supply list is posted below.
7. There will not be any reading material provided by teachers in the classroom. In the past, I've always had really cool non-fiction science books that students could read if they finished classwork early. Now, students must provide their own reading material.
8. Students and staff will be provided with 5 masks. I don't know what happens if your child forgets theirs, loses it or refuses to wear it. Or, is unable to wear one due to a documented medical condition (with a note from the doctor).
School Supply List for the 2020-2021 school year is located as a tab in the left column.
Please understand - There will NOT be classroom sets of supplies available for your child to use.
Due to strict sanitization guidelines, students MUST provide all of their own individual school supplies this year. They will not be able to borrow from other students or from their teacher.
We will be able to provide calculators for school use, which will be sanitized daily.
End of Year Info 6/3/20
1. Per Mrs. Martin, Catawba Science Center field trip money ($7.00) will be rolled over to next year and will be used for any 7th grade events/field trips. If you prefer to get your payment back, please contact the school office. If you are leaving the Caldwell County school system, please contact the school office for a refund. Our book keeper has a 6th grade master list of students who paid for this trip.
2. Lunch accounts:
~Any money left in the student's account will be rolled over to next school year.
~You can request a balance from the Nutrition Department. Go to Caldwell County Schools, Departments, Child Nutrition. You will see options on the right hand side.
~If you owe money, you can come to the school office to pay, just call first to make sure someone is there!
3. Yearbooks - our book keeper is waiting to hear back from the yearbook vendor. I know that production lines have been slowed/halted due to COVID-19. As soon as I get an update, I will get that info out to you.
YEARBOOK UPDATE 6/25: Yearbooks are in and can be picked up Mon - Thur between 9:00 and 5:00. There are a few extra available at $22 each.
4. Beta Club: this email from Mrs. Hubbard was sent to the Beta Club kids: "Congratulations on being accepted in the National Jr. Beta Club. Your certificate and pin are included in your end of the year awards. We hope you will make plans to come by and pick this up when your grade level meets this week. Hopefully, we will be able to have our induction ceremony in the future when it is possible to do so safely. We are a School of Distinction, and we are proud of all you have accomplished. In case you were wondering your membership will carry over to next year. We hope you will continue to pursue learning opportunities this summer, so that you will stay strong in your academics. Also, if you are able to help others you can continue to earn Beta Club hours for doing so. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Hubbard or Mrs. Biddix"
I will provide more updates as I get them and as parents ask questions, I will provide answers here!