Assignments for 5/26-5/29
Finish reading Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes and complete any assignments that you haven't finished yet. Also, please bring your book back to school when you finish.
Assignments for 5/18 through 5/22
Read Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes chpts. 16 & 17
- Whom does Ellerby develop sympathy and compassion for?
- Where is Mr. Byrnes hiding when he first attacks Mobe?
- How is Mr. Byrnes able to keep up with Mobe when he jumps out of the car and starts running down different alleys?
- To whom does Mobe run to for help?
- Where is Mobe wounded?
- What was Sarah Byrnes’s mother’s reaction to Sarah’s plea for help?
Anecdotal Writing Assignment: In chapter 17, Mrs. Lemry tells Mobe an anecdote about a time when she felt like she didn’t belong on a baseball team in order to illustrate the enormous magnitude of Sarah Byrnes’s many loses, culminating with the loss of the dream of a loving mother. Mobe says that Mrs. Lemry gives him “a look into her life,” and then he says, “I wish adults could know how important that is to us sometimes.” Your assignment is to record an anecdote from someone you know and write it down. It doesn't have to be very long, but it needs to explain a lesson about life.
Assignments for 5/11 through 5/15
Read Chapters 13,14, and 15 in Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Answer the following questions:
- Where is Sarah Byrnes living after she leaves the hospital?
- Why is Mark in the hospital?
- Where are Mrs. Lemry and Sarah Byrnes travelling to and for what purpose?
- Sarah Byrnes tells Mobe that the reason she likes Mrs. Lemry is because of what?
- There are three men who come to Mr. Mautz’s office to talk. Name two of them.
Answer the following questions in paragraph form. You should have at least one page total.
- Explain the meaning of Mrs. Lemry’s argument on page 217. Tell your opinion about whether or not you agree with her and why.
- Explain the meaning of Ellerby’s argument on page 234. Tell your opinions about whether or not you agree with him and why.
Assignments for 5/4/20 through 5/8/20
Read Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes chapters 11& 12
Answer the following questions:
- How are Sarah Byrnes and Mobe secretly communicating while she is in the hospital?
- Whom does Mobe go to for advice on what to do about Sarah Byrnes?
- Who says, “You do-gooders need to be careful. You think just ‘cause you want to help somebody, somebody’s gonna be helped”?
- Where do they think Sarah Byrnes’s mother is now?
- For what reason does Mr. Mautz “invite” Mobe to lunch with him in his office?
- What is the one thing that Mrs. Lemry agrees with Mr. Mautz about? It has to do with Mark Brittain.
Pick two of the following opinion questions and write a 1/2 page answer for each. Remember that these are opinions, so there is no right or wrong answer.
- Are Ellerby and Mobe being too hard on Mark Brittain?
- Should the students in the CAT class be discussing such controversial issues?
- Should Sarah Byrnes go to her mother for help?
- Is Mr. Mautz as eeeeeevil as Ellerby and Mobe think he is?
Assignments for week of 4/27 through 5/3
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes Reading Quiz chpts. 9 & 10
- Why did Sarah Byrnes want to be put in the hospital?
- What secret does Jody tell Mobe?
- Fill in the blanks with the same word: Jody says, “One thing about Mark, he __________ himself a lot more easily than he __________ others.”
- Why is Jody breaking up with Mark?
- What does Mobe find out that makes him start liking Carver, his mom’s boyfriend, better?
- Mobe says that it is the first time he wishes that he had a dad. What is making him feel this way?
One of the themes of Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes is the importance of words. On page 144, Mobe says, “There aren’t words for this” when he learns about the horrors of abuse that Sarah Byrnes suffered. Sarah Byrnes’s refusal to speak, to say words, is what saves her. However, once she speaks, she is in danger once again. Write a 1 page reflective essay on the power of words.
Assignments for the week of April 20th-24th
Read chapters 7 & 8 in Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Answer the following questions:
- What makes Mobe fall a little bit out of love with Jody?
- What does Mobe tell Sarah Byrnes that finally gets a reaction out of her?
- Why did Ellerby run away from home when he was much younger?
- On what subject do Mark, Ellerby, and then Mobe get into a heated discussion about during their CAT (Contemporary American Thought) class?
- Who asks Mobe if they could “meet and talk” after class that day?
Read each of the following quotations from the novel. In 3-5 sentences for each quote, explain what each one means.
1. “As always, you’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re also accountable for decency” p. 118.
2. “I think most of us tell ourselves we don’t want what we think we can’t have just to make life bearable” p. 118.
3. “What I hope we can learn is to be aware of how our beliefs color what we see” p. 136.
April 6th through April 9th Assignments
Read chapters 5 & 6 in Staying Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
Answer the following questions
Reading Quiz chpts. 5 & 6
- What kind of deal does Sarah Byrnes make with Dale Thornton?
- Who says, “The other day when I saw how hard it was for Mobe to go to the hospital to see her [Sarah Byrnes], I was embarrassed that I didn’t know her better, that I ever laughed at one joke about her. I was embarrassed that I let some kid go to school with me for twelve years and turned my back on pain that must be unendurable. I was embarrassed that I haven’t found some way to include her the way Mobe has”?
- What will be Ellerby’s subject for his class presentation?
- In what way does Mobe “stay fat” for Sarah Byrnes now?
- Why is Sarah Byrnes in the hospital?
Essay Question: Answer in at least 5 sentences.
Explain how Mobe's friendship with Sarah Byrnes is different from his friendship with Ellerby.
*We will have a zoom meeting on Thursday, April 2nd at 3:00 if any of you want to attend and ask questions about the book and/or the assignments. I'll send you a link to the zoom meeting via email on Thursday morning.
Assignments for March 30th through April 3rd
- Read Chapters 3 & 4 in Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes
- Answer the following questions and email the answers to me.
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes Reading Quiz chpts. 3 & 4
1. Describe Ellerby’s car.
2. According to Mobe, Ellerby is the one who is an enigma. Why? (hint: it has to do with Ellerby’s dad)
3. During swim team practice, what do Ellerby and Mobe work together to do? (hint: it has to do with Mark Brittain)
4. What has Mobe been talking about to Sarah Byrnes when he visits her at the hospital?
5. In a flashback to middle school, Sarah Byrnes tells Mobe that the real enemy isn’t Dale, it’s who?
- Writing Assignment for chapters 3 & 4
Irony is when the opposite of what is expected occurs. In a 8-10 sentence paragraph, list and then explain two instances of irony in the novel thus far. The examples can be from chapters 1-4. Be sure to include the page number that the ironic event occurs on, and also explain how the event is ironic.
Hello everyone, here's the first assignment. Read the first two chapters of the book I gave you and answer the following 10 questions and the essay question. You can email your answers back to me. Since this should take about 4-5 hours to do, it won't be due until Friday, March 27th.. Take care everyone and please let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything.
I have also scheduled a zoom meeting for 10:00 on Wednesday, March 25th. I sent you a link to your email address. This is optional, but it would be best if you can attend because we can actually discuss the book. I hope to "see" you then.
Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes Reading Quiz chpts. 1 & 2
1. Everyone calls Eric “Moby” or “Mobe.” Name one of the two nicknames that only Mrs. Lemry calls Eric.
2. What does the word “enigma” mean?
3. What reason did Sarah’s dad give for not allowing her to have reconstructive surgery after she was burned?
4. What grade does Eric’s narrative flash back to?
5. Why do Eric and Sarah create a school newspaper?
6. What does Eric “stand on” when he is called to the office about Crispy Pork Rinds?
7. Why doesn’t Eric get in trouble when he is called to the principal’s office?
8. Who calls Sarah Byrnes “Scarface”?
9. What does Sarah Byrnes tell Eric aka Mobe that she will do if he gives his lunch money to Dale Thornton?
10. Mrs. Lemry says that they can’t talk about whom in their Contemporary American Thought class?
Essay Question: Answer in 5-8 sentences.
1. Many of you questioned me about the cover of the book. What does the cover have to do with the story?