Youth Employment Certificate
- Minimum Age for Employment: Fourteen (14) for non-farm work with limited exceptions. Proof of age includes birth certificate, driver's license or DMV issued identification card, school records, insurance records, or other documentary evidence approved by the Department of Labor.
- *ABC On-premises Permit Restrictions: Youth under age 18 may not prepare, dispense, serve, or sell alcoholic beverages for any reason even if employed by their parents. Youth 16-17 may be employed in the premises to perform other duties including waitperson and cashier as long as youth is not serving, taking orders or ringing up on-premises alcholic beverages. Youth under age 16 may not work in the premises for any reason. A limited exception exists for youth under age 16 who are employed by their parents to work in the premises for any reason. A limited exception exists for youth under age 16 who are employed by their parents to work in the premises to perform other duties. Youth 14-15 may work on the outside grounds to perform other duties with parent/guardian written permission (permit signature is acceptable).
- Rest Breaks: No youth under age 16 may be employed for more than 5 consecutive hours without an interval of at least 30 minutes for rest (applies to employers who are subject to state labor law only).
- Hours Restrictions (14-15 year olds): Only between 7 am and 7 pm (except until 9 pm during the summer when school is not in session); only outside school hours; no more than 3 hours per day or 18 hours per week when schools is in session; and , no more than 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week when school is not in session.
- Hours Restrictions (16-17 year olds): If regulary enrolled in grades 12 or lower, cannot be employed between 11 pm and 5 am when there is school the next day for the youth unless the employer receives written permission from the parent/guardian and the principal or pincipal's designee. This restriction does not apply to youth enrolled in GED programs or who have dropped out of school.
- Permitted Ocupations (14-15 year olds): Can only work in office or clerical occupations, in retail sales or service occupations including foods service and gasoline service stations. Cannot work in manufacturing, construction, or occupations involving the us of power-driven machinery including lawn mowers.
- Hazardous/Detrimental Occupations (Not Permitted For Youth Under Age 18) : (*Limited apprenticeship/student learner exemptions)